Delicious chocolate is almost everyone’s favourite dessert; the taste of chocolate is the taste of love,Every year on February 14th, happy men and women worldwide will eat chocolates worth hundreds of millions of dollars,Are you curious about how chocolate is “refined”? Today, we will introduce chocolate refiner from a professional perspective.
Ingredients Needed To Make Chocolate
Chocolate is a kind of food made from the seeds of the tropical cocoa tree. The cocoa tree has been planted in Mexico, Central America and South America for 3,000 years. The earliest written records about it are in AD, around 1100 BC.
transforming cocoa beans into chocolate is complicated and arduous, At least 13 steps are required, and it is not easy to “refine” chocolate.
- Cocoa Bean Cleaning: Quality assurance of final products such as chocolate and cocoa powder must start with cleaning cocoa beans and nuts. This process is fundamental to prevent trouble and damage to the operation of subsequent equipment, so cleaning can fully improve the reliability of production equipment.
- Roasting: In drying and roasting cocoa beans and nuts, a continuous fresh air roaster can gently improve the flavour.
- Sterilization of cocoa beans: Sterilizing cocoa beans at the initial processing stage will significantly reduce the risk of contamination in subsequent processes. Moreover, sterilized cocoa beans are easier to pulverize, so the proportion of fines will be lower. Yields are also increased when the cocoa beans are separated from the husks.
Bake And Sterilize
- Grinding: processed into cocoa pulp with stable density and smaller fineness by bead mill.
- Feeding: Add the required ingredients to the cocoa pulp.
- Mixing: Effective mixing and vigorous kneading make the cocoa pulp uniform and elastic, which is necessary to ensure effective refining.
- Fine grinding: The fineness of fewer than 10 microns can be obtained by fine grinding.
- Refining: Chocolate can be refined by a chocolate refiner to meet your unique needs, obtaining proper structure and smoothness, and at the same time meeting final moisture, viscosity and flow limits.
- Generate seed crystals: The crystallization of crystal grains replaces the actual blending process, and the chocolate processed by crystallization has a significant improvement in structure and strength.
- Molding: A specially customized sheet product moulding line can effectively produce innovative chocolates with precise weights. When using a single-stroke process, the characteristics of the shell and filling can be accurately determined with the help of variable batching curves. Proportion.
Types Of Chocolate Refiners
Roller Reciprocating Refiner
This is the earliest chocolate refiner. There is a roller made of granite in the machine. It moves back and forth along the cylinder wall through the connecting rod drive.The other end falls and then returns to the other end with the roller and is refined through constant flipping and friction.
The chocolate sauce has a special kneading effect after a long time of continuous rolling friction in this refining machine, which can remove the unpleasant and unsuitable odour in the material, make the material a smooth fluid, and have a good refining effect. Therefore, later The developed refining equipment still retains a mechanical kneading effect.
However, the production capacity of this kind of refiner is too small; the minimum capacity is 100kg per feeding, the largest is 1000kg, and the refining time is as long as 48 to 72 hours.
Plough Mixer Refiner
This is a refining machine with high dehumidification, degassing and increasing chocolate aroma. It consists of a semi-circular symmetrical cylinder and two vertical stirring columns with scrapers and plough-shaped stirring paddles. During dry refining, It can increase the contact surface with the space and enhance the inflatable effect. The refining cylinder is jacketed and can be rapidly cooled or heated.
The refiner is a two-speed transmission: slow speed is used for dry refining, and fast speed is used for liquid phase refining. The maximum capacity of a chocolate refiner is 8000kg.
Three-Cylinder Three-Shaft Double-Turning Type Refiner
For the three-cylinder three-shaft refiner, the diameter of the two outer cylinders is smaller than the diameter of the middle cylinder, all of which are jacket insulation devices, including sidewalls. The arms rotate in opposite directions, but the rotational speed is different.
The rotational speed of the two outer stirring shafts is faster than that of the intermediate shaft. All three shafts can be driven by oil tank helical gears for reliable operation, and the rotation speed and direction of the agitator make the refiner produce double flipping action.
The refiner is driven by two motors of different sizes, and the pneumatic coupler drives the transmission gear. During dry refining, the coupler turns to the right side of the central shaft. The motor consumes more power, and the speed is slower. When refining, the couple turns to the left of the centre shaft, and the motor speeds up.
Two-Cylinder Two-Agitator Refiner
This refining tank is the most similar equipment to hand-refined chocolate. There are two tanks on the left and right, with a jacket insulation device on the outer layer, and there are two sets of agitators with blades and scrapers.
In the initial stage, the chocolate material passes through the material conveying belt. After being ground from the chocolate refiner, it is directly transported to the tank of the chocolate refiner for dry refining. The material is continuously exposed in the machine through the intensive mixing action of the agitator blade.
The friction between the particles generates heat, which promotes the reduction of moisture and volatile acid; when the stirring is carried out for 4 to 6 hours, the powdery material becomes agglomerate after being thoroughly stirred in the outer cylinder, and we call it material at this time. Feed mixing.
After adding a small number of phospholipids or cocoa butter, start the second refining stage. By controlling the rotational speed of the two paddles of the refining cylinder and the water temperature of the thermal insulation jacket, after several hours of refining, the same material gradually turns into a cake-like shape.
The material is continuous; by the throwing, grinding, and mutual friction of the blades, it is dispersed into finer particles, which improves the fluidity so that the material continuously overflows from the surroundings of the cylinder and then is discarded from the bottom of the cylinder for circulating operation.
It can be the same as the refining effect of throwing the chocolate material in the manual process. The taste of the chocolate is longer, the aftertaste is more substantial, and the acidity is less.
Finally, the remaining part of cocoa butter and phospholipids are added. The final refining is continued so that the chocolate material can get the maximum flow and smooth, delicate, moist taste and form a unique product quality.